November 24, 2015

Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: epel on centos 6

I've got a VM running CentOS 6 (64bit) and I'm attempting to add the EPEL repo like usual to install various packages as I do quite regularly.
Today, I'm experiencing some strange errors yet I'm doing absolutely nothing differently.
I'm adding EPEL like so:
# wget http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm
# rpm -ivh epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm
Yet when I try running yum for anything, I'm getting this error:
[root@core /]# yum list
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Determining fastest mirrors
Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: epel. Please verify its path and try again
Any ideas? I'm stumped!

The correct fix is to update your SSL certificates.
sudo yum upgrade ca-certificates --disablerepo=epel
You need to disable the epel repo so that this command will succeed. After you update your certificates you can use yum normally as EPEL will work again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment